Yarn Along for August 17, 2011

I finished Dobry by Monica Shannon (Newbery Medal winner from 1935) last week and thoroughly enjoyed this story, which is set in a peasant village in the mountains of Bulgaria.  Dobry is a young boy who lives with his mother and grandfather, their lives richly interwoven with those of the other members of their community and with the rhythms of the seasons.  The book doesn’t have the plot-driven excitement of some more modern children’s books (wizards and Greek gods and battles to save the world and such), but as a reader, I found the seasonal traditions and local folktales of Dobry’s world both charming and absorbing.  As Dobry grows up, he finds that he has both a talent and a passion for art, something that is quite unexpected for a young man in his rural village of farmers and craftsmen.  His efforts to find a way to follow his dreams while also remaining connected to and a part of his community really resonated for me, and I think they would for a lot of older children starting to think about their place in the world as well.

This week I am continuing with my project to read all of the Newbery Medalists in order by reading Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink, winner of the Newbery Medal for 1936.  So far, I’m really enjoying it — I’ll provide a more thorough review when I’ve finished it.  I’m also reading Knitting Rules: The Yarn Harlot’s Bag of Knitting Tricks by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, which is such a fun read!

Socks, Books, Hat

There’s not much exciting to see on the knitting front just yet this week, since I haven’t had a good chance to take a picture of the 80% finished secret birthday project for my daughter (Shhhhhh!  Don’t tell, but it’s the Gryffindor Year One House Scarf from Charmed Knits: Projects for Fans of Harry Potter by Alison Hansel!) and the other two projects I have started are just in the very beginning stages.

While volunteering at a living history event at Duke Homestead this past weekend, I started knitting a pair of socks for my husband (pattern from The Knitter’s Handy Book of Patterns, which I checked out from our local library).  This is my first pair of socks in a long time and the only previous complete pair of socks that I’ve knit were baby socks.  I’m hoping, though, that this will be the start of a lot of sock knitting since it seems like such a portable and practical thing to knit (and since I have a lot of sock yarn sitting around waiting to be knit!).  I’m also working on a brown cashmere blend acorn baby hat (pattern available at Homegrown Happy) to go with the brown/green/gold Baby Surprise Jacket.

This post is part of this week’s Yarn Along at the delightful blog Small Things.

This entry was posted in Knitting, Newbery Medalists, Reading, Yarn Along. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Yarn Along for August 17, 2011

1. Good luck on the socks :) Sock knitting is as addictive as everyone says (or it is for me at least!) I’d already bought 4 skeins of sock yarn before finishing my first one (not pair, fist individual sock!)

Man socks do take a while though!

2. Kate says:

Good luck with the socks! That is something I hope to attempt in the next year. But not right now ;-) I loved Caddie Woodlawn when I was younger.

3. Thanks for popping by my yarn along post Kathy, it’s always nice when a comment leads me to discover a pretty blog (or two) I’ve not seen before! @ Natalie (pinkundine): sock knitting is really that habit-forming? I’ve never been brave enough to give it a try… but I will have some quite a bit of sock yarn left over from my yarn along project (if I ever get it finished!).

4. Karen says:

What a great idea to read winners in order!
    We listened to Caddie Woodlawn in the car last year for school – we all enjoyed it!
    Thanks for stopping by and visiting me!
    God Bless
    Karen

5. Jen says:

I call “The Knitter’s Handy Book of Patterns” my ‘bible’. It has proven its worth its weight in gold for the amount of times I’ve used it to make mittens, gloves, hats, socks, etc.

6. swanski says:

Boy! You have been knitting up a storm. I cannot wait to see the secret birthday gift. I really like your theme of reading the Newbery books.

7. Sarah says:

Wow, you have a lot on the go. I have done much in the way of sock knitting but there are so many lovely sock yarns now, I would love to give it a go!

8. Rain says:

Dobry sounds excellent! Anything that involves intimately living the seasons appeals to me. Love the acorn hat…mmmm, cashmere blends!

9. meghann says:

Oh, I love the idea of reading all the Newbery Medalists in order! I may steal that idea from you…

How do you like the Knitter’s Handy Book? I have been thinking of purchasing it – it seems like a good resource to have at hand – but I wonder whether it’s worth it. I suppose I could just take it out of the library & see for myself… xo

10. Emily T. says:

Hooray for socks! (and secret birthday presents)

Caddie Woodlawn sounds so familiar — trying to remember if I read this in the past. Hmm.

Good luck with your knitting :-)

11. Kate says:

Thanks for coming by my blog for a visit and leaving your lovely comment. I love how comments left lead us on to other blogs. It’s been nice visiting. I’ve really enjoyed seeing all the great things you do in this post and previous ones and you’ve inspired me to have a look at the little baby jacket.

12. Cheryl says:

I love sock knitting. It is my favourite project when travelling. So satisfying as well. I usually have atleast one of the socks finished before I reach home.

13. Annie says:

What a great idea to read the Newberry Medal winners! I had never heard of Dobry, and it sounds like something I’d love myself–will have to check it out.

14. Rachel says:

I’m hoping to launch into sock knitting this fall. I’ve only done a couple pairs of baby socks, as well..
    A whole book of Harry Potter knits?! I’m quite intrigued to see what else is in there!

15. Ximena says:

Muchas gracias por tu comentario en mi blog.
    Yo quiero ver el regalo secreto sobre todo si tiene algo que ver con Harry Potter que me encanta.

Cariños desde un lluvioso Santiago de Chile.

16. Ellen says:

Love the varying browns you’re using. Also – we loved Caddie Woodlawn!